September 1, 2011

Funfetti + Cake Stand = True Love

Look at that beautiful cake stand.  Swoon! My aunt encourages my sister and I to cook and bake by generously giving us Williams Sonoma gift cards.  Awesome!  I had saved mine for a while, waiting until I found something I really liked.  When this cake stand went on sale, I was sprung.

So when my friend Bri's birthday came around, I was excited to use it for the first time.  And how better to adorn it than with homemade FUNFETTI!!

Funfetti may be the classic birthday dessert of my generation.  I was and still am in love with that sprinkled cake.  My mom made way too many funfetti cakes for me for birthdays in the past when I know she was probably grossed out.  I LOVED that rainbow chip frosting and am pretty sure i ate it from the jar on more than one occasion. 
How do you improve on a good thing?  Make it from scratch!  Before Bri's birthday I had made homemade funfetti mini cupcakes for a road trip/going away picnic.  Since those turned out great, I had high hopes for the cake.  Plus Bri is FUN! So it was a good fit.
This is my batter pre-fun.
This is my batter post FUNNN!!!!!
Look at those sprinkle studded cakes!
  
Making funfetti cake is not at all harder than any other cake.  I didn't chase down leprechauns or capture rainbows to throw in to the batter, which is the way that Bri must have thought I did because she thought that my cake was such a feat.  Nope! It's just a matter of throwing in some sprinkles and adding almond extract.  Secret is out Pillsbury!!!
After baking the cake, I assembled it on my lovely new cake stand!

Just in time for Bri's birthday! yay!
I literally think I could and would eat this for every meal.  Part of a balanced breakfast? Perhaps?  Maybe I'm pushing it, but it's so good!

I doubled and adapted the recipe from Cakespy.  It made a lot of batter, but I was okay with having extra funfetti leftovers. 

For the cake:

  • 2 1/2 cups AP flour
  • 3 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 12 tbsp butter, room temperature
  • 2 large eggs + 2 egg whites, room temperature
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 tsp almond extract
  • 1 cup milk
  • 4 tbsp rainbow sprinkles
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. In a large bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a stand mixer, fitted with flat beater, beat the sugar and butter until well combined, about 2-3 minutes. Add eggs and egg whites, one at a time, beating on low.
  3. Then add vanilla and almond extract. Gradually add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with milk in 2 additions, ending with the flour mixture. Fold in rainbow sprinkles.
  4. Pour batter in two 9 inch pans lined with butter, flour, and parchment.  Bake until a toothpick or cake tester comes out almost clean.  About 25-20 minutes, depending on your oven. 
For the frosting:
  • 1 stick butter
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • Milk if needed 
  1. Beat butter until soft and fluffy.  Beat in powdered sugar and salt.
  2. If needed, add in milk in small portions (tsps) to reach desired consistency.  Milk will make the frosting more liquidy and spreadable.  Sometimes my frosting needs it, sometimes it doesn't. 
  3. Frost the cake!  Decorate as you wish!  Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment