February 10, 2012

Super Bowl Corn Dogs

Do I care about the Super Bowl?  Minimally. I'm not that in to football.  I get excited about football if I'm already following the team. More often than not, I get bored.  Watching a 3 hour game when the weather is beautiful outside gets me down.  But maybe in the future, should the man in my life be really in to football, I  could get excited about it.  But know what I'd be more excited about?  Things that you eat when you watch football games!  Yes, I am definitely in to those.

I had a superbowl potluck this year.  I was so ill prepared for this epic sports day that someone else brought their TV because mine wasn't up to snuff.  Whoops, my bad.  But basically, I needed this potluck to happen because I have been wanting to make corn dogs.  Yep, corn dogs!  I said it!  Everyone loves corn dogs.  Am I right?  My vegetarian roommate in college said that what she missed most about eating meat was corn dogs.  That's a hell of a compliment! 

So anyway, Superbowl, I thank you, for allowing me to make corn dogs, among other fried items, and for giving me an excuse to eat nacho cheese, candied bacon nuts, and drink beer with friends that are yelling at the TV!  For that, I'm totally down with you coming around once a year. 
 So back to corn dogs.  These corn dipped dogs were awesome.  I also may or may not have battered and fried various types of cheese cubes.  When I say may or may not, I mean yes I definitely did and in no way regretted it. 
Deep frying things is intimidating.  All that oil and possible splatter burns!  But all in all, frying all these were pretty easy.  The batter held up well, and if you keep your oil at the right temp, splatter should not be much of a problem. 
 
I have to say, the end product was definitely worth it.  Dip them in spicy grainy horseradish mustard!  You can't go wrong!  And the cheese balls?  I don't think they could be any better. 
 
 
When the time came that we didn't need anymore dogs or cheese (I know, I know, how could that happen?)  I started wondering what else we could throw in the leftover batter and oil.  Can't lie, we fried a couple pieces of candied bacon, and a dozen truffles.  We totally went state fair style in my house on Sunday.  Everything tasted good.  Shocker! Deep fried things were tasty?!
 
I stopped after the chocolates.  Please kill me if I ever fry oreos or a stick of butter.  Seriously, just as I wrote "oreos" I got really bummed because we definitely had double stuffed oreos at the party and I definitely should have fried a few.  Damn! 
There's always next year!
I need to get a hold of myself... but I promise I won't ever do butter!

I got my recipe and ideas from The Pioneer Woman but only did half dogs and cheese cubes instead of sticks!  Oh and truffles.  Happy frying!

1 comment:

  1. Kalen. Corn dogs and deep-fried cheese. This is why I miss you.

    ReplyDelete