September 30, 2011

Spinach and Mushroom Quiche

I have come to believe that quiche is maybe one of the most versatile meals.  It is definitely acceptable to be eaten at all times throughout the day.  I've had a history of eating the wrong things for breakfast (i.e. brownie sundaes, grilled cheese, apple pie a la mode,  all served by my mother), but quiche is perfect first thing in the morning!  Not only that, it definitely makes a good lunch and can even be eaten for dinner accompanied by a salad.  It includes healthy protein and can be really low in calories depending on what you put in it.  I decided to go the healthy route, as opposed to my usual baked goodies. Even so, my spinach and mushroom quiche came to be a perfect go-to throughout the week.  I even made a whole wheat crust to keep up with the whole healthy scheme I had going on... aren't you proud??
 
 First I made my crust.
Then I sauteed my onions, mushrooms, and wilted the spinach.
I grated some smoked gouda.

Then scrambled up 2 eggs and 2 egg whites.  I added some salt and pepper and some nutmeg just for kicks.  In the crust goes the veggies, then the cheese, then the eggs!  Then it's baked until the middle is set.
Then enjoy during any time of the day!

For the crust:
  • 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup cold butter in cubes
  • 4-6 Tablespoons cold water 
Combine flour and salt.  Cut in butter until the mixture looks like wet sand.  Add in water, a Tbsp at a time until the mixture holds together and can be rolled.  Refrigerate.  When the crust is somewhat cold and won't stick to your rolling pin, roll until the dough is about 1/4 inch thick. Lay it over your pie dish and pinch the edges.

For the filling:
  • Olive Oil
  • 1/2 c sliced onion
  • 3/4 c mushrooms sliced
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 c fresh spinach
  • 1/2 c smoked gouda, shredded
  • 2 large eggs plus 2 large egg whites
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 2/3 cup milk
Preheat the oven to 400°.  Coat a pan with olive oil and throw in all of the onion. Cook down until translucent.  Add in the mushrooms.  Continue cooking until mushrooms are sauteed and onions are starting to brown.  Add in the spinach until wilted.  Add salt and pepper to taste.
Beat eggs and egg whites with milk, nutmeg, and some additional salt and pepper.
Put  the Spinach mixture into your crust, topped with the shredded cheese.  Pour the egg mixture over the Spinach and cheese.
Bake until the middle is set and the edges are golden brown, 20-25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment