September 22, 2011

Berry Tarts

 In class last week we made pies and tarts.  Pie crust and tart crust require the same techniques to come out successful.  I think class has cured my woes with pie crust.  Pie crust and I previously had issues.  Our relationship was not healthy.  In fact, my failed new year's resolution this year was to make a pie a month because I had such trouble with my Thanksgiving pies last year! My mom can roll out a good pie crust probably in 5 minutes flat.  Making a great pie is probably one of the top qualities I hope to achieve in my lifetime.  How great would it be to be known like, "Oh! She makes a mean apple pie!"

Anyway, those pictures from class are to come... but I did have leftover tart dough from class that I had to figure out what to do with within the week. Coincidentally, I also received a large tart pan for my birthday last week.  It seems like these Berry Tarts were meant to be!  I think tarts may be the most beautiful desserts.  You can put anything in them you wish, which usually makes them so vibrant in color.  And for some reason tarts seem a whole lot fancier than pies. Like they should be eaten with tiny utensils and enjoyed with a cup o' tea.
The first step was to make the pastry cream.  This is basically like a thick vanilla pudding.  I used a real vanilla bean!  The pastry cream should refrigerate for about 6+ hours.  If you are short on time, 1 or 2 will do, but it's best to let it chill overnight.
Then time to roll out the dough!  Your dough should be cold, it'll be easier to work with. 
 Then press the dough into your tart pans, with the crust a little thicker at the top so it won't break when you cut it.  Poke it with a fork so it doesn't puff up too much and put in pie weights (or rice or beans) so it doesn't shrink.  Cook the dough for about 7 minutes with weights and 7 minutes without  (you can include an egg wash in the second step if you wish).

Let your crusts cool.  Then fill them with your chilled pastry cream, about halfway up. Rinse your berries and slice them to your preference.  Line the pastry cream with berries, in any manner you wish!
See! Fancy!!
They were so beautiful I was squealing throughout the process.  My neighbors likely think I'm crazy.
For added shine and to keep the fruit moist and fresh, I coated my tarts with an orange marmalade syrup (also fancy).  
Eat up!  
They were delicious!  I wish berry season wasn't ending so soon. They make such pretty treats!
I'll post the recipe later today!

No comments:

Post a Comment