November 30, 2011

Strawberry Cupcakes

There’s something about a strawberry cupcake that takes me straight back to childhood.  Strawberry cake, along with big swirly lollipops, bubbles, candy buttons (anyone else?), and crayons.  While the others are a given, I’m not sure why strawberry cake does it for me.  I don’t even remember eating a strawberry cake when I was little.  It doesn’t sound like something my mom would make me.  And forget that pink instant cake box.  While I would clearly eat it, I’m sure my mom wouldn’t lay a finger on it.  

For my roommate’s birthday this year, I took a shot at strawberry cupcakes.  My roommate also loves strawberry cake.  To be honest, who wouldn’t like it? Especially these cupcakes studded with actual strawberries rather than flavoring or syrup or food coloring.  The raw cake batter was delicious.  I almost didn't want to bake them. 

Also, are pink things usually more delicious?  I’m not that girl that likes everything pink, but I think since cupcakes are already cute, pink just seals the deal.  Maybe cupcakes were made to be pink.  Maybe all the pink is part of the reason these cupcakes take me back to when I was a little girl.  Oh, you suggest a heart shaped strawberry on top? Oh what a good idea!





They were perhaps the girliest thing I have ever made, for a not so girly friend, and by a not so girly me, but luckily they were awesome. I think even the manliest of men would enjoy a little strawberry cupcake with pink frosting and a heart garnish!

Make them! And prepare to let your inner child out to play!  Maybe keep some crayolas nearby...


Ingredients:
For the cake
2 ½ cups cake flour
1 tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup unsalted butter
1 ½ cups sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup buttermilk
¼ cup oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups chopped strawberries

For the frosting:
½ c. strawberries
8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 ¾ cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 tbsp. vanilla

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350°.  Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
Sift flour, salt and baking soda into a medium bowl.  Set aside.  In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add eggs one at a time until combined.  Add buttermilk, oil and vanilla and beat until combined.  Add flour mixture and stir until just combined.  Fold in chopped strawberries.  Fill cupcake wells ¾ full with batter.  Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.  Try not to eat all of the raw batter!

For the frosting, puree strawberries in food processor.  Strain through a mesh sieve to remove seeds, and set aside (it'll be much more pleasant to eat without the seeds in the frosting).  Beat the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer until smooth and fluffy, about 5 minutes.  Add powdered sugar and mix until smooth.  Add vanilla and strawberry puree.  Adjust the amount of puree to achieve your desired consistency.  Frost cupcakes when completely cool.

Garnish however you wish!

No comments:

Post a Comment