April 24, 2012

Three Veggie Servings

Life is about balance.  At least that is what my mom tells me.  I think it's open to interpretation.  When applied to food, balance I guess is having salad every once in a while.  Maybe after you have cake for breakfast.  This week I had oatmeal for breakfast.  But then last minute, I put nutella in it.  Balance!

Although my mom tells me to find balance in my life, she usually isn't referring to food.  Or if she is, she didn't do a good job instilling good values in me at a young age.  When my sister and I were little, my mom was unconventional in her breakfast ways.  Some days would be by the book, cereal and OJ.  But most days we would have whatever my mom felt like making us.  Ham and Cheese Omelette?  Okay.  Grilled Cheese?  Wavering.  Brownie Sundaes?  A teacher's worst nightmare.  In first grade when we were learning the food pyramid, Mrs. Hackett went around asking us what we had for breakfast.  When she asked me, I responded truthfully and innocently not knowing my mother's indecency, "Apple pie a la mode".  It happened.  I think about it now, and my mom was mischievous!  Filling us with sugar and then sending us off to school for our teachers to deal with!  Overall awesome for me, but probably not Mrs. Hackett.
Even though my mom may have trained us to crave brownies in the AM, sometimes after way too many baked goods, I only wanna eat kale salads with dried cranberries in them.  I make smoothies and put some leafy greens in them and try to feel better about the strawberry shortcake I ate the night before.  I eat only roasted brussels sprouts for dinner (this happens all the time because I love them so).  The trouble is, sometimes healthy things we should be eating, aren't as delicious as the bagels or strawberry cupcakes we would rather be having.

That's where balance comes in!  After I've had one too many salads, I've taken to finding largely vegetable based meals or recipes, that have some element of deliciousness. Some of my favorites lately: Zucchini Potato Pancakes, Green Bean Fries, and a Cheesy Asparagus Tart.  I feel like if my meal is mostly vegetables I don't feel as bad, even if there is puff pastry involved.  All are extremely delicious!  The green beans are for real healthy, and the other two aren't bad.  See the recipes below and start cooking!








Zucchini and Potato Pancakes
recipe from the Joy the Baker cookbook

4 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/4 c finely diced yellow onion
1 garlic clove minced
2 c zucchini
2 c peeled and grated potato
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1/3 c AP flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
Sour Cream, Apple Sauce, and (smoked!) Paprika or cumin for serving

Over medium heat, heat 2 Tbsp oil and add the onions.  Cook until translucent, then add the garlic.  Cook for one more minute.  Place onions and garlic in a small bowl.
Place zucchini and potato in a colander with 1/2 tsp.  Let sit for 10 minutes.  Press down with a paper towel trying to get a lot of the water out.
In a medium bowl whisk eggs.  Whisk in flour, baking powder, and remaining 1/2 tsp salt.  Add the onions and garlic, zucchini and potato and stir until well combined.
In a medium saute pan, heat 2 tbsp olive oil.  Drop in the batter by rounded tbsps.  Flatten gently with a fork.  Cook until golden brown around the edges.  Flip and cook again until golden.  Keep warm in oven if needed.
Serve with sour cream or apple sauce and a sprinkle of paprika or cumin if you wish.

Green Bean Fries with Garlic Lemon Yogurt Dip
adapted from A Cozy Kitchen


2 cups whole wheat crackers crushed1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes1/2 teaspoon kosher salt1/2 pound French green beans, cleaned and trimmed1/2 cup all-purpose flour2 large eggs, beaten
1 meyer lemon, juiced and zested
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 c non fat greek yogurt
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 375F. On a plate, mix cracker crumbs with red pepper flakes and kosher salt. Dip green beans in flour, egg and then transfer to crumb mixture and coat evenly.
Place coated green beans on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until green beans are lightly golden brown.
Meanwhile, mix together greek yogurt, lemon juice and zest, and garlic. Salt to taste and transfer to a ramekin.  Go on and dip those green beans in and trick yourself into thinking you are eating fries with aioli!

Asparagus Tart
from Martha Stewart

Flour for work surface
1 sheet frozen puff pastry
5 oz cheese of your choice, I used a mixture of gruyere, cheddar, and parmesan
1 to 1 1/2 lbs asparagus, or enough to cover your sheet of puff pastry
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt and Pepper


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a floured surface, roll the puff pastry into a 16-by-10-inch rectangle. Trim uneven edges. Place pastry on a baking sheet. With a sharp knife, lightly score pastry dough 1 inch in from the edges to mark a rectangle. Using a fork, pierce dough inside the markings at 1/2-inch intervals. Bake until golden, about 15 minutes.
Remove pastry shell from oven, and sprinkle with cheese. Trim the bottoms of the asparagus spears to fit crosswise inside the tart shell; arrange in a single layer over cheese. Brush with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Bake until spears are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
I served mine with an over easy egg and a couple slices of prosciutto.  drool!

2 comments:

  1. When I saw "healthy" I was like...no. But then I saw "cheesy" and I thought, well, okay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmm, looks delicious. also, roasted brussel sprouts?? try them with a little honey, sriracha, and lime!!!

    ReplyDelete